Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, September 2, 2011

The cry it out method....

Sucks.

No, Collin isn't sleeping through the night and no, he doesn't fall asleep on his own. I've been babying him by giving him a bottle & rocking him until he's out and giving him a bottle at night followed by getting in bed w/me and going back to bed. Ugh. Why did I start this? I know why... because I LOVE holding him while he sleeps and I LOVE rocking him and I LOVE cuddling. The only time he lets me hold him like that is when he's falling sleep and he just stares up at me and melts my heart. He's 13 months now... I know it's over. ~sigh~ We've been giving him a snack and a sippy w/milk before his bath and then just rocking him for a few minutes and then putting him in his crib. He screams for about and hour before he either pukes, poops or passes out. I prefer the latter. We go in and check on him every 10 minutes and kiss him and lay him back down. I HATE THIS! I know he's just crying for me and I'm making him lay there and cry. I guess this is the first of many feelings like this. It's time... I know it is.

8 comments:

M said...

I can imagine that would be so hard. I think we all have those little things that are hard to give up. Like for us, we still give A a morning and evening bottle even though he's almost 17 months because we love when he just lays still in our bed and cuddles. Stay strong girl!! It will pay off and get better!

^J^ said...

Hmm. No advice to offer really on this topic... What's his daytime naps like? I remember when my brother was letting my nephew "cry it out", him & my SIL would either vaccuum or go outside and mow the grass. Yes, he still cried, but since they were not within earshot of him they didn't feel as bad... Well, that's as clear as mud! Hope you got what I was trying to say! ;) I'm sure it's very hard on you, but you can do this!! {{{hugs}}}

Julie said...

Oh, that would just break my heart. You are right in doing it though. Stay strong!

~*JaYmE*~ said...

He takes 1 2hr nap a day. Daycare says they just lay him in his crib after lunch and pat his butt for a few minutes and he's out. At home I try and do the same thing... doesn't work. I have to rock him or go for a car ride. He did sleep ALL night last night though! I'm sure it was a fluke but maybe not! We'll see what tonight brings.

A Wife and a Teacher said...

I'm sure that is heartbreaking to listen to. I don't have any advice, but I'm sure I will be needing some soon!!! Let us know what works...hopefully something will work soon!!!

Cheryl said...

That must be soo hard for you to hear... Just stay strong and before you know it, he will be falling asleep in a half hour, then 20 minutes, then ONE MINUTE!

:-)

E said...

I love rocking my baby too. Cuddle time is so sweet.

Margaret said...

That sounds awful! :( Just know that it is okay for you to continue to rock him to sleep if that is what you want to do - he is still a baby so it is perfectly okay to "baby him" :) The US is the only country that thinks it is culturally appropriate - and in some circles, mandatory - for babies to sleep through the night and fall asleep on their own at such a young age. You would be doing nothing wrong by listening and responding to his calls and rocking him to sleep.

Just wanted to put that out there in case you were questioning your CIO decision. You should do what you feel is right, and if that truly is CIO, then I wish you the best and hope he adjusts quickly!