Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hope this works!

The nursed called to check in w/me yesterday. How awesome is that? She called me! To see how Collin was doing. Wow. Most pedi doctors that I know of don't do that... I think I'm really going to like this place a lot. Thank heavens! Anywho so the nurse called to check in on us and suggested doing away w/the formula bottle all together and just go w/Breast milk & cut dairy out of my diet. So I've stopped that & went back to nursing. I will just pump a bottle if need be. I did that all day yesterday and so far today. He still screamed pretty much all day yesterday. I fed on demand. No restrictions, no bottles. I'm at a loss. So far he's been good today BUT it's only 1:00. After talking w/my mom & DH's mom we both had colic as babies and had to be put on Soy milk. I'm supposed to call the doc on Monday and let them know how things went this weekend and depending on how the weekend goes I may suggest putting him on the Soy formula and see what happens. I will keep pumping to keep up my supply in case that doesn't work. The nurse also suggested giving him Gripe Water. I'd never heard of it but it's some natural liquid stuff that Wal.gre.ens sells to help w/colic so we've been giving him that every 4 hours as well. Wish me luck ladies! Yesterday was brutal. I was about in tears all day because I felt so bad for him. Just the look on his face like he's in pain kills me & there is nothing I can do about it. Anyone out there w/colic babies have any suggestions or words of wisdom? I can't believe that colic peaks at 6 weeks & it only gets worse before it gets better... this is probably selfish of me to even say this but I hate that my whole maternity leave w/him will be filled w/him crying all day. I feel like we won't get to have any fun together or time to really bond before I go back to work. I hate to wish these weeks away but I have been... just counting the days before he feels better so we can really be a family.

10 comments:

Robin said...

You are doing a great job, Jayme. It's so hard when your heart just breaks as a mommy when it seems like nothing you do can comfort them. Hang in there...It will get easier!

nikki millet said...

I used gripe water with Izzie and it seemed to help. Also when I quit bfing and started formula, I started with one with prebiotic- i stopped using one with prebiotic and just went to similac advance and it helped a ton. Maddi had colic pretty bad and I remember it was really tough when she just cried and cried. We would walk her around the house or bounce her for hours. I know it is hard, but it does get better.

ssbean said...

I used gripe water and gas drops and neither really seemed to help. It's one of those things mom's just have to deal with. If soy formula is a no go, similac alementum is wonderful, but very expensive. Ellie didn't have colic, or I don't think she did, but she was in pain. When they have tummy pain they think they are hungry, any sensation in the belly they take as hunger. They told us to feed her 2oz every 2hrs, but that really didn't work for her. She was a little older than Collin though. She demanded and was only happy with 4oz every 3-4hrs. Good luck and hopefully things will get better.

Anonymous said...

Check out the "Happiest Baby on the Block". It shows how to swaddle, shoosh, sway, etc. There is a book but when you have no time and no sleep, I recommend the DVD. The steps are simple and it takes about 30 minutes to watch the DVD. It is for newborns and specifically talks about the first 3 months and how to calm fussy/colic babies. There are clips of the DVD on this link. http://www.happiestbaby.com/book-dvd-excerpts/the-happiest-baby-clips/

Anonymous said...

Here is a you tube clip with the author and demonstrations you can watch from "Happiest Baby on the Block". It pretty much shows most of what you need to know to calm a fussy baby without you needing to see the DVD or read the book. http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/the-happiest-baby-on-the-block-richard-and-judy/b05c7dbe33997051e9a9b05c7dbe33997051e9a9-176490283301?q=happiest%20baby%20on%20the%20block&FORM=VIRE3

E said...

I honestly would do everything in my power to try and calm colic down as best as possible even if it means putting them on "special" formula and taking them off the breast. That is what I had to do and V is so much better. I wish I had known there were other alternatives back when my first son was born. Instead we lived through his screaming every night for hours in pain. It was horrible!!!

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that your doing a great job and "this too shall pass". I know I strugged with BF at first and someone told me that the first 5-6 weeks are the hardest... (it was true for me as well) It does get better.

Kristin said...

When you give him gas drops, try giving them *before* a feeding if possible. This helped my second child a little bit, she didn't have colic exactly but she did have a lot of gas. Both my kids required soy formula. It made a huge difference.
I don't have much experience with true colic, but a friend of mine had a colicky son and she said the swing was a huge help for him. He could only sleep in the swing and with a white noise machine going.

M said...

Hi jayme. So sorry things have been so rough. It is hard to see your baby in pain. Just wanted to let you know that milk proteins are very similar to soy proteins, so if collin has a true milk protein sensitivity, soy formula may not help. But it is always worth a try. I have been on a dairy free diet for 3 months now. I thought I could never do it but you just adjust. (((hugs))) hon!

Kelly said...

Do the Gripe water. My last one had reflux and did what we called "scream and eat." :(