Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Updated on me & baby

Hi ladies! How's everyone doing today? Hopefully the nasty storms have missed everyone and your homes are still intact. It's been rainy & windy here but haven't had any major damage. My poor yard is one soggy mess though! DH is starting to get pissed because he can't get the landscaping done. Getting the landscaping done for the year is his main goal, then finishing the nursery & then onto the bathroom. He's starting to get stressed. He's a great carpenter though so I know he'll get it all done & it will be perfect! Speaking of stress... I'm really stressing about finances. I never realised how much daycare cost. We will be paying the same amount in daycare a month as we do for our house payment! Holy crap! We have him signed up at a daycare here in town, just down the road from us but we are thinking an in home daycare would be better and cheaper so we are looking into that as well. The one thing I hate about this daycare is that I have to pay whether he is there or not. That sucks. I have every other Tuesday off and plan to keep him at home w/me and have mommy/son time and still have to pay for him to be at daycare. I know they have to do it that way but... most in home daycare's don't do that. So far everyone I know of that babysits is full so I'm on a list that goes out to everyone in the town that is registered. Ack. Hopefully someone good comes up. I'm absolutely terrified at going back to work and leaving him w/strangers.

Had my 27week apt today. Baby is doing great. H/B was great. My belly is measuring at a perfect size they say... even though they didn't actually measure it? Weird. I took my glucose test but wont hear back if we passed or not for a few days. That liquid is gross. We start going every 2 weeks now. I'll have another u/s at 31 weeks. So exciting! I can't believe how fast this has gone by. I've gained a total of 17lbs so far! Right on track according to the books. Seems a bit high to me though. Oh well I'd rather gain too much than not enough.

I bought a nursing cover yesterday at a maternity store here in town. It was 20% off so I couldn't pass it up. DH is kind of being an ass about breastfeeding. He thinks it's weird that I will just start breastfeeding if we are somewhere and thinks I should pump. I do plan to pump, actually I wont have a choice once I go back to work but I do plan to breastfeed the majority of time while I'm at home. I'm going to take a breastfeeding class but right now I'm so nervous about it. I have so many questions and concerns. For those of you that did pump, what kind of pump did you use? Did you buy or rent? What kind of bottles did you use? I'm starting to freak a little.

Update on my work friend- her HSG came back great. No blockage. Her IUI was canceled Saturday. Yeah canceled. She is going to a GYNO here in town (moron) who thinks he is an IF doctor. He put her on clomid and had her come in Saturday- CD14 for an u/s, her IUI and THEN GIVE HER HCG? WTF... HCG after the IUI? What a dumb ass. I'm smarter than him. Anywho... so her follies were only at 15mm so he told her to come back next month and they'd up her clomid dose and try again. HELLO! I've never O'd on CD14 w/or w/out meds. He should have had her come back in a few days for another u/s not just cancel her. I'm trying to remain grounded and offer her the best advice I can w/out upsetting her but really... I wish she would see an RE instead of wasting her time w/this quack. She wont be able to get on our ins at work until Nov so hopefully then once IF is covered for her she will move on to someone who knows what they are doing. Poor girl. Her hubby is in the military and wont even been home next month or all summer for that matter so now she's pushed back until Aug or so. GRRR.

So I've blabbed enough & this got really long. Sorry! Hope you are all doing well. Love you girls & praying for you daily!

9 comments:

AJ48 said...

I have been breastfeeding for 4 months now and it has been going great! I wont say it was easy at first but if you really want it, you can make it work.

I bought the Medela Pump in Style. Its a great pump because it has an cooler in it to store your milk (which is ideal for work so you dont have to store milk in the community fridge! :) I use the Medela bottles and nipples too.

I will warn you that your relationship with your pump will not come easy. I HATED pumping at first. After we got the hang of breastfeeding (around 6 weeks) I started to pump once a day and introduce the bottle once a day(daddy did this feeding). I then increased a bottle feeding (slowly) week by week. I read that you dont want to wait too long because baby will refuse the bottle and if you introduce the bottle too soon baby will get nipple confusion! (which is what my girl had even at 6 weeks - but we worked through it)

By the time I had to go back to work :( baby was used to both breast and bottle and I was okay with pumping. Now I pump at work (about 2 times a day and I get about 3 to 4 feedings)

I now enjoy pumping at work because I feel close to Mackenzie even though I am not with her. It helps to look at a picture too!

I remember totally feeling freaked out about the whole breastfeeding thing...but it actually went smoother and easier than I thought. Good luck!!!!!

oh yeah I got my pump on Craig's List for cheap!!!

Robin said...

I was staying home with Alli for the first four months due to my summer vacation. I planned to nurse exclusively, but ended up having to rent a pump since I was exhausted (and wanted to leave the baby for more than two hours on occasion). I wish we would have bought it. It was awesome and I managed to pump and work full time for almost a year. It is really hard though, but worth it if you can stick with it. I am so glad I did because with Alli and her issues I am super glad she got as much of a head start as she could get from me.

By the way, you should make DH take the breastfeeding class with you. I went alone, and I was the only lady their without my husband! I felt like the other ladies were looking at me like I was having the baby alone or something.

Tanya said...

I totally don't want to give you a bad opinion of anything, but just remember that an in home daycare usually only has 1 teacher and that can be either bad or good. Good if you can trust them and know them, Bad if they end up treating kids badly and nobody else is there to witness it.

I had my children in a "good" in-home daycare and found out after 2 years that it was "bad" and she was abusing them mentally and threatening them alot. I would only go with a regular daycare because more teachers there would be monitoring each other.. JMO

I wish you all the luck in the world in this decision.

Elizabeth said...

Breastfeeding out in public is a challenge but if you have a baby like my daughter who wouldn't take a bottle no matter what you don't have a choice. It's really not all that bad and if you're lucky one of the stores in the mall you have near you might have a BFing room set up for mommies.

I used a Medela pump which I bought off Ebay for way cheap. We were using (or trying rather) the playtex drop-ins for bottles but really it's hit or miss. If your baby does actually take to the bottle & doesn't like what you offer you'll just have to try different ones.

Hope you find a good at-home daycare that'll save you more money in the end rather than the "commercial" daycare!

Have you chosen a name yet? I know you had some possibilities but I wasn't sure if you two had decided for on one for absolute.

M said...

Good for you for choosing breastfeeding!! Although there is nothing wrong with feeding formula, breast milk is the perfect food for your baby!

The biggest advice I have is dont' give up. Right around the 1.5/2 week mark breastfeeding was SO painful and I cried many times in frustration but I stuck with it and now at 4.5 weeks it's going great!

There is a lot of conflicting information about when to introduce a bottle to a baby. Austin had jaundice at first so we supplemented with formula at first and then at the 3 week mark started giving a bottle of breastmilk a day. It is going well for us but every baby is so different.

I bought the Medela Pump in Style and I liked it a lot at first but now I'm having some suction issues with it... It might just be a matter of replacing a very small part though...

Glad to hear baby is growing well! Fingers crossed that you passed your GTT!

To A T said...

I think it's great you are going to BF! :) Like M said though, don't give up! I know everyone gives you that advice, but it's so true. The first few weeks kind of suck but if you can get over that hump you will be set- Promise! Brynna is still BF at almost 7 months :)

I bought the Ameda Purely Yours. I liked it better than the Medela because there is NO way for milk to get into the tubing. It's cheaper too plus the replacement parts are cheaper. As AJ said too- pumping pretty much sucks at first too, but I'm sure you will get the hang of it :)

Glad things are going well!! Good luck on the daycare search!

Christina said...

We pay almost the same for rent as daycare too, it's insane.

I used the Lanisoh brand pump and it was okay. I think pumping alone is what made my supply go away entirely. I would have rented the hospital pump if I had known I wouldn't be able to get Annika to latch.

Steph O. said...

Yeah, I got nothing in the BF advice department! ;)

I would, however, STRONGLY advise your friend to get to an RE. That Ob/Gyn is wasting her time & money!

Glad to know that you & baby are doing well. Wow! Almost 3rd Tri! :D

ssbean said...

Wow, your pregnancy is really flying by. Hopefully the breastfeeding class will help ease your fears and maybe your hubby can go too and he'll understand it better. Breastfeeding is so wonderful, but a challange. It's really hard at first, well I guess it's hard all the time, but at first when your milk is coming in and your nipples are sore, no fun. But despite how rewarding it is, it's not always so natural for everybody. Don't beat yourself up too bad if you don't make it to your breastfeeding goal.
I should have gotten the Medela Pump in Style, w/out a doubt that's the most popular one. I just rented mine. I wasn't sure how well I would be able to breastfeed. I don't know if it was stress or PCOS (I've heard that it can affect supply), but I didn't produce enough. I never had luck w/ the pumps. Bottles, at first I used the playtex drop in's the concept made since to me, you squeeze all the air out, so they baby then gets less air. Once she went to 6-8oz, I changed to the Dr. Browns, they are pain to clean, but I like them a lot. Oh and playtex drop in are easy to clean.
Here's a link in case you have supply problems http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-pcos.aspx
For me if we ever have another child, being prepared for the chance of having low supply may help.
I'm not saying this to discourage you, but rather to inform. I don't want you to be caught off gaurd if you have problems. Do know the foods and suppliments that help with milk production and have some around the house, like oatmeal for example. It can't hurt when your milk is coming in.